Sunday, January 6, 2008

Mosaic Biscotti (my first attempt)

It's a gloomy, rainy day outside, and I have plenty of time on my hands. I decided to make biscotti (the "o" is long; not like a "cot" that you sleep on, but more like "oh"). I've had this recipe I've been dying to make...the author had come to my work several months ago. I remember how funny she was. She asked if it was okay for her to cuss! I thought to myself, "please, God, please do. This place could use a little cussing every now and then."

Can I just say that I've been having a lot of fun making this recipe? I have Pink Martini in the background, and at one point had chocolate covering the palms of my hands. Oh biscotti, I think I love you...

..........................................................................................................................................................................

Mosaic Biscotti
courtesy of Dolce Italiano, Desserts from the Babbo Kitchen by Gina DePalma

3 1/2 cups unlbeached, all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 large eggs
2 large egg yolks, plus 1 egg white for glaze
2 cups granulated sugar, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons for glaze
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsley chopped
2 cups skinned or unskinned hazelnuts (I chose skinned..makes it prettier and easier)
2 cups whole, unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.

Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the eggs, egg yolks, and 2 cups sugar on medium speed until pale and thick, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract, followed by the dry ingredients and then the chocolate and nuts, until the dough is thouroughly mixed. (I used a hand mixer for the eggs, sugar and vanilla..mixing on medium speed for about a min. I then used a wooden spoon to mix in the dry ingredients, nuts and chocolate).

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease two large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray or butter or line with parchment. (I lined with parchment paper).

Using floured hands, divide the dough into 5 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, shape each portion of the dough into a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 10 inches long. Place 2 of the logs on one of the baking sheets, 3 inches apart, and 3 of the logs on the second baking sheet, also 3 inches apart. In a small bowl, beat the egg with with a fork until frothy. With a pastry brush, glaze each log with the beaten egg white and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.

Bake the logs until they are lightly golden brown, firm to the touch, and just beginning to crack slightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Rotate the sheets 180 degrees halfway through the baking time to ensure even browning. Allow the logs to cool on the baking sheets on a wire rack until they are cool to the touch, about 40 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 200 degrees F. (I put in 1 sheet at a time because my oven just isn't big enough).

With a sharp, serrated knife, slice the biscotti slightly on the bias into 1/4-inch-wide slices. Lay the slices on the baking sheets in a single layer. Return them to the oven and cook for 20 minutes more, or until they are toasted, dry, and crisp. Cool the biscotti completely on the sheets, then store them in an airtight container kept in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

Trust me when I say you have to be completely chilled out when making this. Not that it is hard at all, but there are delicate parts to this recipe...like the cutting. If you aren't taking your time on this step, they could crumble on you. If they do kind of crumble in the middle or the ends, don't fret...they will toast together in the oven, or just eat it!

I can't wait to have these tonight after dinner with a 10 year tawny port.



No comments: